I Knew Ted Murphy was Superman, but Geez

Posted by on April 25, 2008 at 6:43 am.

robberyI woke up this morning to messages that IZEA CEO and friend Ted Murphy got jumped in New Orleans by as many as 8 guys. It sounds like IZEA’s Travis Andrews saw the commotion and jumped in to help — resulting in a beat-down of his own. Wallets and camera stolen, bumps, bruises, blood and a hospital all-nighter.

Early this morning, Ted shared this twitter stream (read from bottom, up):

canceling all credit cards. about 1 hour ago

I would so stick my face in some cake right now. travis…… wake the F up!!!!! about 2 hours ago from web

nothing to do. just makes me sad. one minute I am having a great time. 5 minutes later I am strapped to a gurney bleeding all over. about 2 hours ago from web

26 hours of no sleep. beaten by 8 guys. Happy to be alive. http://tinyurl.com/6m3gbm about 2 hours ago from web

@john_reese this is my last trip here. great food. good atmosphere but the risk outweighs the reward. about 2 hours ago from web in reply to john_reese

@taralamberson I will. just need to keep us awake to make sure we are ok. both took lots of hits to the head; about 2 hours ago from web in reply to taralamberson

@Social_Citizen no. not at all. about 2 hours ago from web in reply to Social_Citizen

my eyes are so red and both are so tired but can not sleep. New Orleans hospital almost as scary as the robbery itself. about 2 hours ago from web

eyes and face bloody. but both are ok. i was kicked mostly in the head. travis mostly in the body. both alive and breathing. thank the lord. about 2 hours ago from web

http://tinyurl.com/6hnw2w My wallet after theft in new orleans about 2 hours ago from web

police. hah. they wanted to arrest travis for helping me. dragged out of urinal by 8 dudes. crazzzzzy stuff. i was like what!?!?!? about 2 hours ago from web

just realized they stole my camera too. about 2 hours ago from web

rolled over and beaten. both of us. bad. blood all over. about 2 hours ago from web

pocket that is. i hope we are ok. about 2 hours ago from web

OMG I got jumped in new orleans. Travis jacked too. went to the hospital. just released. both wallets stolen. staying up to make sure ok. about 2 hours ago from web

It made me sick. I’ve been on the bottom of a multi-booted kickfest before and it sucks. Even so, I wish I’d been there with Ted and Travis. We’ve fought a lot of battles together for PayPerPost/IZEA, but this is something different. These guys weren’t after linkbait, subscribers or sponsored bloggers — they just wanted somebody’s stuff that wasn’t theirs. If they got to dole out some physical punishment as well, all the better.

Ted has taken a lot of grief from a lot of people while building IZEA and always comes back swinging. As a result, he’s pioneered an industry and helped a ton of people put food on the table, pay tuition and make house payments while doing what they love, blogging. I’m just glad he kept his head down this time.

Get well guys!

Related images: ted murphy, travis andrews, new orleans

One Comment

• david says:

Definitely sucks, but thanks to twitter and the blogosphere, you get to laugh and share the story with a lot of frieds. Think about how much it would suck if you got beat up in new orleans ten years ago. It still would have sucked, but you would have no one to share your story with.

No you get to go back and say " remember that time we were drunk in new orleans and got the shit kicked out of us.

Trackbacks / Pingbacks